3x5 Recipe Card Holder
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Children ages 4 and up will enjoy making this 3 x 5 inch recipe card holder craft from craft sticks.
What you'll need:
- 35 craft sticks
- School glue or tacky glue
- Waxed paper or plastic grocery bags
- White satin ribbon
- Rubber stamp (small simple design such as star or heart)
- Stamp pad
- Silk flower
- 3x5" Index cards, lined
How to make it:
- Protect your surface by using waxed paper or plastic grocery bags. You can use newspaper, but the project tends to stick to it and the newspaper print transfers to the craft sticks.
- Glue 11 craft sticks, long sides together so that they lie flat across.
- Glue six craft sticks, long sides together so that they lie flat across.
- Glue two craft sticks, long sides together so that they lie flat across, and you now have three separate sections of craft sticks for the back, bottom and front of the holder.
- Stack and glue eight craft sticks on top of each other.
- Create another stack of eight craft sticks.
- Take one stack of eight craft sticks and glue to the 11-stick-long section you made in step two, along the longest side.
- Repeat with other stack of eight craft sticks.
- Glue the two-stick-long section at one end of the recipe holder to create the bottom.
- Glue the six-stick-long section on top of the stacks of 8 craft sticks, and adhering to the bottom edge of the recipe holder.
- Turn recipe holder over. Glue two craft sticks together to create a V shape and attach to the top of the recipe holder to create a hanger.
- Let dry completely.
- Rubber stamp design on ribbon and at the top of the recipe cards. Add a silk flower if desired.
- Give this useful present to your mother, aunt, grandmother, or anyone who likes to cook!
You can replace the rubber stamped ribbon with any decorative ribbon, although the rubber stamping adds a nice touch.
Ask at your local craft store if you can have the flower blooms that fall off on the floor. You can even ask the employee sweeping the floor for the flowers they have swept up.
Felt or construction paper could be used to make the flowers as well. Attach the child's picture on the front of the holder for a decoration that Mom will love. You may wish to cover the picture with clear adhesive paper to protect it from food splashes.
Another idea for decorating would be to use the "Woodsies" shapes to create designs on the front of your recipe holder. If you put the points of 4 hearts together, it creates a flower. Add a tiny circle in the middle for the stamen.
See also our 4x6" Recipe Card Holder for additional ideas on how to decorate this project.