3x5" Recipe Card Holder
Age: 4 and up
You can replace the rubber stamped ribbon with any decorative ribbon, although the rubber stamping adds a nice touch.
What you'll need:
- 35 Popsicle sticks
- School glue or tacky glue
- Wax paper or plastic grocery bags
- White satin ribbon
- Rubber stamp (small simple design such as star or heart)
- Stamp pad
- Silk flower
- 3x5" Index cards, lined
How to make it:
- Protect your surface by using wax paper or plastic grocery bags. You can use newspaper, but I find that the project tends to stick to it and the newspaper print transfers to the Popsicle sticks.
- Glue 11 Popsicle sticks long sides together in a row. (see Photo 1)
- Glue 6 Popsicle sticks long sides together in a row. (see Photo 1)
- Glue 2 Popsicle sticks long sides together in a row. (see Photo 1)
- Stack and glue 8 Popsicle sticks on top of each other. (see Photo 2)
- Create another stack of 8 Popsicle sticks.
- Take one stack of 8 Popsicle sticks and glue to the (11 stick) longest row, along the longest side. (see Photo 3)
- Repeat with other stack of 8 Popsicle sticks.
- Glue the row of 2 Popsicle sticks at one end of the recipe holder to create the bottom. (see Photo 4)
- Glue the row of 6 Popsicle sticks on top of the stacks of 8 Popsicle sticks, and adhering to the bottom edge of the recipe holder. (see Photo 5)
- Turn recipe holder over. Glue 2 Popsicle sticks together to create a V shape and attach to the top of the recipe holder to create a hanger. (see Photo 6)
- Let dry completely.
- Rubber stamp design on ribbon and at the top of the recipe cards. Add a silk flower if desired.
- Give this useful present to your mother, aunt, grandmother, or anyone who likes to cook!
Tips:Ask at your local craft store if you can have the flower blooms that fall off on the floor. Generally my children watch for the employee sweeping the floor and ask them for the flowers they have swept up.
Felt or construction paper could be used to make the flowers as well. Attach the child's picture on the front of the holder for a decoration that Mom will love. You may wish to cover the picture with Con-Tact paper to protect it from food splashes.
Another idea for decorating would be to use the "Woodsies" shapes to create designs on the front of your recipe holder. If you put the points of 4 hearts together, it creates a flower. Add a tiny circle in the middle for the stamen.
See also our 4x6" Recipe Card Holder for additional ideas on how to decorate this project.