4x6 Recipe Card Holder
Parental supervision is recommended
Children ages 4 and up will enjoy making this 4 x 6" recipe card holder craft from Popsicle sticks.
What you'll need:
- 30 Jumbo Popsicle sticks (about 3/4" x 6")
- School glue or tacky glue
- Waxed paper or plastic grocery bags
- Woodsies in hearts or other shapes
- Paint in desired colors
- Decorations for the recipe holder
- 4x6" Index cards
How to make it:
- Protect your surface by using waxed paper or plastic grocery bags. You can use newspaper, but the project tends to stick to it and the newspaper print transfers to the Popsicle sticks.
- Glue eight Popsicle sticks, long sides together, in a row.
- Glue five Popsicle sticks, long sides together, in a row.
- Stack and glue seven Popsicle sticks on top of each other.
- Create another stack of seven Popsicle sticks.
- Take one stack of seven Popsicle sticks and glue to the (eight stick) longest row, along the longest side.
- Repeat with other stack of seven Popsicle sticks.
- Glue a Popsicle stick at one end of the recipe holder to create the bottom.
- Glue the row of five Popsicle sticks on top of the stacks of seven Popsicle sticks, and adhering to the bottom edge of the recipe holder.
- Turn recipe holder over. Glue two Popsicle sticks together to create a V shape and attach to the top of the recipe holder to create a hanger.
- Let dry completely.
- Paint the Woodsies shapes and let dry. Glue the shapes on to the front of the recipe card holder.
- Give this useful present to your mother, aunt, grandmother, or anyone who likes to cook!
Ask at your local craft store if you can have the flower blooms that fall off on the floor. Generally my children watch for the employee sweeping the floor and ask them for the flowers they have swept up.
Felt or construction paper could be used to make the flowers as well. Attach the child's picture on the front of the holder for a decoration that Mom will love. You may wish to cover the picture with Con-Tact paper to protect it from food splashes.
Use the "Woodsies" shapes to create designs on the front of your recipe holder. If you put the points of 4 hearts together, it creates a flower. Add a tiny circle in the middle for the stamen.
You may also wish to rubber stamp a design on the wood and color in with markers or paint.
See also our 3x5" Recipe Card Holder for additional ideas on how to decorate this project.