Ice Cream Maker
Discover what it was like to make ice cream a hundred years ago with this homemade ice cream maker. Two empty cans or containers are the basis for this kids' craft that makes a tasty treat when complete.
What you'll need:
- For the freezer you need:
- 1 lb. empty can with plastic lid
- 3 lb. Empty can with plastic lid
- 1 1/2 cups of rock or kosher salt
- 20 cups (about 7 1/2 lbs.) of crushed ice
- For the ice cream you need:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips
How to make it:
- In the small can mix cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips.
- Cover the small can and set in the center of the larger can.
- Layer half the crushed ice alternately with half the salt in the empty space between the cans.
- Cover the larger can.
- Now the fun begins: Choose a hard level surface like a cement walk way and roll the can back and forth for about 10 minutes.
- Open outer can; empty old ice and water, lift out small can; wipe lid dry and remove. With a rubber spatula scrape ice cream from can sides. Stir and cover.
- Return small can. Repack with remaining ice and salt. Cover and roll for 5 more minutes.
After all that Hard Play enjoy!!