American Flag Fan
Parental supervision is recommended
Your kids can proudly display their patriotic spirit on Flag Day or Independence Day when they make this United States flag fan craft.
For more great patriotic crafts, check out our full list of ideas for Fourth of July crafts.
What you'll need:
- Navy blue corrugated plastic
- White corrugated plastic
- Red "Painters" paint marker
- White "Painters" paint marker
- Extremely sharp scissors
- Popsicle stick
- Pen or pencil
- Scotch brand super-strength mounting tape
- Tacky glue
How to make it:
- Measure and cut a rectangle 5" wide x 3 1/2" tall out of the white corrugated plastic. Make sure that the ribs (interior lines) on the white corrugated plastic are vertical so that you can put the Popsicle stick through it when you are finished.
- Measure and cut a rectangle 2" wide x 1 1/2" tall out of the navy blue corrugated plastic.
- Draw white stars on the navy blue corrugated plastic. If you mess up, turn the plastic over and write on the other side
- Using your pen or pencil, measure in 1/4" increments down the white corrugated cardboard to make the stripes.
- Draw red stripes on the white corrugated cardboard (see photo).
- Let the markers dry for about 10 minutes (depending on humidity).
- Attach the navy blue corrugated plastic with the stars on the upper left corner of the flag with the mounting tape (see photo).
- Using your sharp scissors, cut up a small way on the inside of the white corrugated plastic to make it easier to insert the Popsicle stick.
- Add tacky glue to the end of the stick and push up inside the flag.
- Enjoy your really cool fan!
You can use regular cardboard if you can't get corrugated plastic, but it won't be as durable.
Corrugated plastic is made by several manufacturers. It is known as Stratocore or Coreplast, among other names.