By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 6 & up
Parental supervision is recommended
Recycle jelly and sauce jars to hold all your little toys, item, and coins. Give your glass a new lease on life by making these adorable animal buddy jars to display in your room! Makes a fun Earth Day craft for kids that is also environmental friendly.
What you'll need:
- Clean, empty glass jars
- Felt, any color you like
- Pom poms (for noses)
- White craft glue
- Wiggle eyes
- Gesso (recommended: Liquitex Basics Gesso) or white craft paint
How to make it:
- Print the patterns.
- Remove lid from jar and paint with a layer of Gesso or white paint. Let dry. (See photo.)
- Line the top of the lid with glue. Pipe glue around the outside rim as well.
- Place lid, glue side down, onto a piece of felt. (See photo.) Wrap felt around lid and rim and hold snugly so glue can begin to grab. Sometimes felt will soak up the first layer of craft glue. If this happens, pipe more glue around the rim and repeat. (See photo.)
- Trim the excess felt around the edge of the rim. (See photo.)
- Fill the jar with whatever knick knacks, toys, or coins that you like.
- Return the felted lid to the jar.
- Cut additional animal pieces (ears, cheeks, trunks) from pattern to create animal faces. We used contrasting colors for some of our designs. For example, we used maroon for the red dog’s cheeks to stand out against its red face. (See photo.) Glue these pieces on, using our finished photo as a guide on where to place them. (See photo.)
- If creating the cat or dog, cut out long thin strips of felt for the whiskers and glue them on top of the cheeks.
- Glue the facial parts in place. Use pom poms for noses. (See photo.)
- Glue on wiggle eyes. (See photo.)
- Get creative and make whatever animals you like.
- Use jars from jelly, mayonnaise, pickles and other condiments.
- You can use hot glue for attaching the felt to the lids if you like.