By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 8 and up
These backpack buddies are perfect crafts for back to school. Kids will love to hang them on their backpack or share them with friends.
What you'll need:
- Pen or pencil
- Keychain or backpack clip
- Plastic jewelry cord
- 2 large foam circles (about half dollar size)
- White craft glue
- Wiggle eyes
- Feather boa or yarn
How to make it:
- Using one of your foam circles, trace a circle onto the cardboard and cut out. Cut the cardboard circle a little smaller than the foam circle, so cut within the lines you traced rather than on the lines (see photo for steps).
- Have a grown up poke a hole near the middle of the cardboard circle with scissors or a pen.
- Cut a piece of jewelry cord about 12 inches long.
- Thread the cord through the hole in the circle.
- Line up the open ends of the cord and loosely tie knot with the keychain or backpack clip in the knot.
- Glue the foam circles to the cardboard circle, one on each side of the cardboard. This will hide the plastic cord and the hole.
- Line up the foam circles so they are even with each other, and apply slight pressure to flatten them close together.
- Glue wiggle eyes on to the front of a foam circle.
- Cut a piece of feather boa about an inch or so long.
- Apply white glue to the top of the “head.”
- Glue feather boa to the top of the “head.”
- Let dry completely.
- You can glue wiggle eyes to both sides of the foam circles so that the face is reversible.
- Check out the yarn aisle for colorful, fuzzy and wacky textures.
- Add even more character by using a small colorful foam oval as a nose or adding two small white rectangles as buck teeth!