Mother's Day Basket
Age: 5 and up
This makes a nice woven basket for Mum. Younger kids will need help, but it teaches the concepts of simple sewing (in, out, up, down, pull through). Older kids can experiment with different materials.
Find even more kids' projects for Mom on our Mother's Day crafts page.
What you'll need:
- Plastic strawberry baskets (Your local grocery store will be happy to have you take them.)
- Crepe paper streamers, ribbon, or strips of material. (I used crepe paper also gleaned from a local supermarket when they were done with their Easter decorations.)
- Pipe cleaners in assorted colors.
How to make it:
- Wash and clean the basket.
- Fold strips of crepe paper streamer lengthwise in half reducing it's width. Use roughly an arms length of streamer.
- If you want a nice bow, then start weaving from the middle of one side of the basket, with the middle of the ribbon. Weave one half then the other and stop at the opposite side, and tie a bow.
- Begin weaving the streamer/ribbon/material through the holes, any way you want.
- When done braid three different colours of pipe cleaners and attach to either side of the basket as a handle. Catch short pieces of crepe paper/ribbon/material into the braid for a nice effect.
- Fill the basket with whatever you like. I've made chocolates, felt, paper cup, egg carton flowers all with pipe cleaner stems.