By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 6 and up
Make one of these pretty bags for someone you care about, fill it with bath beads, lotions, or even our homemade soaps. Use colorful washcloths or a pretty patterned material, topped off with a dainty ribbon.
What you'll need:
- Washcloth or square piece of material the size of a washcloth
- 18-24" of ribbon or lace
- Hot glue OR sewing machine
How to make it:
- Lay the washcloth onto your work surface and fold in half.
- Fold your length of ribbon in half.
- Place the folded end of the ribbon inside the folded washcloth. You will place the folded end of the ribbon about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the washcloth, leave the folded end of the ribbon sticking out a little (see diagram where it says "ribbon end"). The rest of the ribbon should be on a slant, coming out the upper left side of the top of the washcloth, not straight up and down. This will allow for the ribbon to tie around the top of your bag when you are finished.
- If you are using a sewing machine, pin up the sides of the washcloth and be sure to capture the ribbon before sewing along the bottom and long side, leaving the top open.
- If you're using hot glue, simply hot glue the bottom and open side and be sure to glue the ribbon end inside as well.
- Carefully turn the bag inside out.
- Fill with bath beads, bath salt, or our Easy Homemade Soap.
- Tie the bag closed with your ribbon.
- You can add a couple of small silk flowers or dried herbs to the tied ribbon as a pretty accent if you wish.
- You can use any kind of material for this project, simply cut into a square and follow instructions above.
- You can buy large packs of colorful washcloths for a few dollars at discount department stores.
- Save old silk flowers for projects such as these when you only need a little snippet. You can also cut a small piece from your existing arrangements - chances are it won't even be missed.