Butterfly Halloween Costume
Parental supervision is recommended
Keep your crafters colorful this holiday with this beautiful butterfly Halloween costume. Also perfect for kids to wear for school or church plays. Find other great insect and homemade animal costumes for kids.
What you'll need:
- Black leotard or turtleneck
- Black leggings or sweatpants
- 2 chenille stems or pipe cleaners
- White poster board (use orange for a Monarch butterfly)
- Pen or pencil
- Colored cover stock, tissue paper, construction paper, markers, or glitter as desired
- 1" wide ribbon
How to make it:
- For the body, use a black leotard or turtleneck with black leggings or sweatpants.
- For the antennae, wrap two pipe cleaners around a headband. If desired, curl the pipe cleaners around a pencil or finger.
- For the butterfly, use a sheet of white poster board. Draw a butterfly pattern on a sheet of newspaper and transfer to the poster board.
- Cut out the butterfly shape and decorate as desired. We used colored cover stock cut into the shape of flowers, but tissue paper, construction paper, markers or glitter could also be used. Note: For a monarch butterfly, use an orange poster board and black marker or construction paper.
- Let glue dry.
- To attach the wings, cut four sets of two slits in the poster board wings. The slits should be about an inch long and an inch apart, two sets near the top of the wings, and two sets about twelve to fourteen inches below.
- Thread a length of inch-wide ribbon through the slits to form shoulder straps, with the ends of the ribbon through the bottom slits. Try the wings on the child, adjust the shoulder straps to fit, and tie off the ribbon.
This idea could also be modified to make dragonflies, houseflies, bumblebees and other bugs using other colors of poster board and making an appropriately-shaped pattern to transfer onto the poster board.