Blue's Clues Bank and Cookie Jar
Parental supervision is recommended
Recycle a Kool-aid canister and get two great Blues Clues gifts in one. This cool kid's cookie jar is easily transferable into a personal bank and is great for birthdays and holidays.
What you'll need:
- 8 Quart Kool-Aid canister; washed and dried
- Light blue craft paint
- Navy blue felt
- Light blue felt
- Pink felt
- Black permanent marker
- 1" (or larger) Wiggle eyes
- Tacky glue
- Craft knife; optional
How to make it:
- Sand the canister with sandpaper to give it a rough finish. This gives the paint a surface to adhere to.
- Paint the exterior of the canister and lid with the light blue craft paint. Let dry.
- Using your pencil and paper, draw the ears in one piece. They should be about 2 1/2" wide by 9" long. (see photo)
- Cut out pattern and trace onto light blue felt. Cut out felt ears.
- Cut out small navy blue felt circles and attach to ears with tacky glue. Let dry.
- Glue eyes on the side of the lid. Screw on lid to the canister.
- Draw on the nose, or cut out of navy blue felt and attach with tacky glue.
- Draw mouth lines on the canister.
- Cut a pink tongue and attach with tacky glue.
- Cut some large navy blue circles out of felt and attach to canister.
- Cut a slit in the lid for the bank, if desired.
- Lay the ears in position on the top of the canister. Cut slit in middle of ears for the bank.
- Use tacky glue to attach the ears to the top of the bank. Let the sides hang loose.
- Let dry thoroughly.
- Make and bake sugar cookie "dog biscuits" and put inside canister as a special treat.
When you paint on plastic, the paint does not form a solid bond. This canister would be more of a "display" than an actual type of "toy".
Try rolling out refrigerated sugar cookie dough and cut with bone-shaped cookie cutters. Sprinkle with sugar and bake according to directions on package. Place the cookies inside the canister and give as a party gift to each child! You can also put a slit in the top to use as a bank later.