Boy Scout Mom Pins
Parental supervision is recommended
This wood and ribbon pin turns into wonderful memento for scouts to make for their mothers.
What you'll need:
- 2 5/8" tall wooden Fleur-de-Lis
- 7" piece of 1" wide grosgrain ribbon (in troop color or BSA colors)
- 1" Pin back
- Sandpaper, optional
- Liquitex Gesso in white or neutral color
- Glossy spray paint or craft paint
- Fine "Painters" paint marker
- Paint Brush
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
How to make it:
- Sand, if needed, any rough spots on the wood shapes.
- Coat each piece with Gesso and let dry. It is your decision on whether you coat the back or let it stay natural.
- Lay out the newspapers in a well ventilated area.
- Spray paint the wood shapes in color desired. Let dry thoroughly.
- If the wood grain raises after painting, use the foam sanding block to lightly smooth surface.
- After paint has dried, paint the child's name in the middle of the heart. You may wish to pencil the name in and use a ruler before painting.
- Hot glue the pin back in the middle of the heart.
- Hot glue the ribbon right below the pin back.
- Cut an upside down "V" out of the end of the ribbon.
- A wonderful momento for any mom of a Boy Scout.
One family purchased our Fleur-de-Lis through Making Friends Online Store.
One parent created these pins so the mothers could wear them to meetings and award ceremonies. Choose your colors according to Troop colors (ours were blue & white) or to match the Boy Scout official colors. Some mothers may wish to put the full rank of their sons from Tiger Cubs all the way through Boy Scouts. This could determine on how long you may wish to cut your ribbon.