Bubble Head Magnets
By: Lisa Stowe & Michelle L. Dozois
Age: 3 and up
You can stick these magnets on the fridge to hold down lunch menus, but something tells us you'll want to stick them on top of the tin you've created to put them in. Why? They'll make your family members look like they're wearing fishbowls on their heads. (No marbles or magnets near kids under 3, of course.)
What you'll need:
- Empty, clean mint tin (about 2 1/4 by 3 3/4 inches), with smooth top
- Clear, flat-bottom glass marbles, 3/4 - 7/8 inch, 1 per face
- Pen or pencil
- Child-safe scissors
- 1/2-inch paintbrush
- 2 copies of a family photo printed on photo paper with faces 3/4 inch or smaller
- Mod Podge, matte
- 1/2-inch strong magnets
How to make it:
- Have your child turn the tin upside down and place it on the photo. Trace the tin top on the photo, making sure to include all the faces.
- Let her cut out the photo along the traced lines.
- Have her cover the top of the tin with a thin layer of Mod Podge, then press the photo on top of the tin.
- She can then coat the photo with a thin layer of Mod Podge. Let dry completely, about 20 minutes.
- Have her put the flat side of a glass marble on each face in the second photo. Trace around each, then cut along the line.
- Have your child cover the flat side of each marble with Mod Podge.
- Press a marble onto each of the photo cutouts. A marble now covers each face.
- Have your child coat the back of the photo with Mod Podge. Affix a magnet to the back of each marble head. Let dry completely, about 1 hour. Put photo marbles in (or on) tin.
Originally published in Wondertime magazine.