By: Mia Cronan
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Who doesn’t love a cuddly bunny rabbit? Your child will be adorable and snugly warm in this easy-to-make bunny costume, using a pink sweat outfit and some white fur.
What you'll need:
- Pink sweatpants
- Pink hoodie sweatshirt
- Scrap of white faux fur fabric
- Set of bunny ears
- Pink gloves
- A round sponge or foam ball
- Hot glue gun, or needle and thread
- Black eyeliner
- Needle and white thread
- White sneakers
How to make it:
- Lay the white fur flat with the wrong side up. Trace a piece that is straight across the top and rounded along the bottom, to form a bunny tummy. Cut the piece from the fur and flip it right side up. The piece should be approximately 12 inches wide and 18 inches long.
- Lay the sweatshirt on a flat surface. Using your hot glue gun, attach the piece of fur to the front of the sweatshirt, with the flat part at the neckline and the rounded part at the bottom (see image).
- Cover a round sponge or foam ball with some of the white fur, and sew to the seat of the sweatpants with several stitches for strength (see image).
- When it’s time to dress your child, leave the hood part on her head, and place the bunny ears over the hood. Trace “whiskers” and a bunny nose on her face with black eyeliner (see image).
- Have your child wear white sneakers and pink gloves to complete the look.
- If you would prefer not to alter the sweatshirt permanently with the white fur, you can baste or stitch the fur onto the sweatshirt for easy removal later.
- We found our bunny ears in a craft store among a display of Halloween accessories.
- We found pink knit gloves at a local craft store for $1.00 near the check-out area.
- Instead of using fur for the tail, you could use a powder puff from a container of loose powder.
Mia Cronan is a craft freelancer and mother of five based in Ohio.