Chenille Stem Butterflies
Hang these butterflies by the antenna with fishing line from a paper plate punched with holes. Paint a sky with clouds on the plate to make your butterflies look like they are flying.
Parental supervision is recommended with the use of wire cutters.
What you'll need:
- Black chenille stem
- Any color bumpy chenille stem (for butterfly body)
- 4 Pom poms, optional
- Wire cutters
- Needle nose pliers
- Tacky glue (if using pom poms)
How to make it:
- Cut the black chenille stem in half. (You will only use 1 piece for this project)
- Bend the bumpy chenille stem in half in a V shape.
- Fold down one end of the bumpy chenille stem to the base of the V. Bend around the V. The end should be pointing up.
- Bend the bumpy chenille stem down to the base again. Bend around the V. This will form one side of the butterfly.
- Repeat with other end of the bumpy chenille stem.
- Be sure to use the needle nose pliers to hide any sharp ends.
- Fold the black chenille stem in half.
- Twist the bent end about 1/2" from the bend.
- Slide the butterfly in-between the black ends of the chenille stem.
- Twist the black chenille stem above the butterfly to hold it in place.
- Separate the ends of the black chenille stem.
- Bend one end of the black chenille stem over about 1/4". Bend again.
- Repeat with other end. This makes the antennas.
- If desired, place pom poms in the openings of the wings and use tacky glue to hold in place. Let dry.
- If desired, hang with yarn or fishing line to make a mobile as described above.