Coffee Filter Butterfly
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 3 and up
These beautifully vibrant butterflies are a great way to welcome spring! Suspend them from the ceiling with fishing line, or make several and attach to a paper plate mobile.
What you'll need:
- ½ black chenille stem
- Paper coffee filter
- Water color paints
- Paint brush
How to make it:
- Flatten the coffee filter and place it on a plate or newspaper, the paint and water will soak through. Set aside on paper towels to dry.
- Fold the chenille stem in half. Remember, you are only using half of a chenille stem to begin with.
- Fold the coffee filter accordion style, in about ½" pleats.
- Position the pleated coffee filter into the bent end of the chenille stem. Center the filter at the bend.
- Twist the chenille stem around the filter to secure it in place.
- Bend the tips of the chenille stems over about ¼" to create the antennae.
- Fan out the butterfly wings.
- If desired, hang with yarn or fishing line.
- For a more vibrant butterfly, be sure to paint all white areas with paint.
- Tie a piece of fishing line around the "neck" and suspend from the ceiling. They will look like they are flying!
- Instead of using all the colors on one filter, make some with warm colors (red, yellow, orange) and some with cool colors (blue, green, purple).
Have a favorite craft you'd like to share? Talk about it in our Message Boards.