Canvas Grocery Tote
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
Keep those plastic bags out of the landfills by making your mom a reusable canvas grocery tote bag she will cherish. With simple but pretty pieces of fruit, this bag is lovely and useful.
Take some time to visit our Earth Day homepage, which features other Earth Day crafts, recipes and fun printables. Take our quizzes, What's Your Earth Day IQ? and Are You Living Green?, to find out how environmentally friendly you are.
What you'll need:
- Canvas tote bag
- Fruit themed foam stamps
- Fabric paints to match fruit
- Light blue fabric spray paint
How to make it:
- Insert cardboard into the canvas tote bag and lay on a flat surface.
- Liberally coat each stamp one by one with paint colors that match your fruit (red – strawberry, purple – grapes, etc).
- Press stamp onto tote bag, pressing gently yet firmly.
- Lift stamp off the bag, lifting straight up into the air.
- Once all fruit has been added to the bag, spray the edges with fabric spray paint.
- Let dry completely, overnight is best.
- Personalize your bag with your mom’s name or the word “grub” or “groceries” across the top.
- If you don’t have fabric paints you can use acrylic craft paint mixed with textile medium. Find textile medium at your local craft supply store and follow the instructions on the bottle.
- Canvas tote bags are available in the craft department of your local discount department store.