Cardboard Tube Moses
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 8 and up
This fun craft project is perfect for Sunday school or for celebrating Passover. Teach children the story of Moses and have fun while creating this cute figure from recycled materials like the tubes from toilet paper or paper towels.
What you'll need:
- Cardboard tube
- Brown and peach felt
- 2- 3” x 2” scraps of cardboard
- Acrylic paint in peach and pink
- White doll hair or yarn
- Brown chenille stem
- 4-5 cotton balls
- Black marker
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Paint the top portion of the cardboard tube peach. No need to paint the back or anywhere else as the rest will be covered with felt. Use a cotton swab or your fingertip to pick up some pink paint. Blot most of it off with paper towel so that it's almost dry. Dot on the cheeks.
- Glue doll hair or white yarn around the peach area (face). Glue on for hair and beard.
- From a sheet of brown felt, cut a large half circle.
- Insert cotton balls inside the cardboard tube. There should be enough that they will provide roundness for the top of the head, but not too many that the tube cannot stand on its own. Glue inside to secure.
- Wrap the brown felt around the tube, starting at the top and back of the head and wrapping around both sides, meeting in the front. Trim if needed to fit and glue in place.
- Trim cardboard rectangles to give them rounded top edges. Glue one behind the other, allowing it to be shown from the back. Use black marker to write some of the commandments on the front tablet (i.e. thou shalt not steal, honor thy mother and father, etc)
- Glue tablets to the left side of the robe.
- Bend the top of brown chenille stem into a cane shape. Glue to the other side of the robe.
- Cut out two small circles from peach felt. Glue one on to the chenille cane (hands) and the other to the left side of the tablets.
- Use black marker to add dots for eyes and draw on eyebrows.
- The word Passover refers to the exemption of Israelites from the death of their first born. Homes that were marked with lamb’s blood (indicating Jews) were “passed over” when the wrath was brought down.
- Save cardboard tube from toilet tissue rolls and paper towels for craft projects such as these.
- White yarn and doll hair are both available from your local craft supply store.