Dragons on Parade
Parental supervision is recommended
What you'll need:
- Tempera paints, in colors desired
- Paint Brushes
- Wide crepe paper or streamers (at least 3 1/2" x 3')
- Markers or crayons to decorate the head
- Heavy paper (1" x 7")
- Printed pattern (see below)
How to make it:
- To make the body of the dragon, cut a strip of wide crepe paper 3 1/3 - 4" wide and between 3 and 6 ft long (3 ft for preschoolers, longer for bigger kids).
- Have the child dab an assortment of spots and lines on the crepe paper with a paintbrush. Let dry. If desired, hang the crepe paper on a clothesline or some place so it can dry.
- Print one Dragon Head for each dragon:
Pattern (90 dpi)
- Color the dragon head as you wish.
- Cut out the dragon head.
- Staple the handle across the back of the head (made from a 1x7" piece of sturdy paper).
- Staple the wide body strip of crepe paper to the back of the dragon head (once it is dry!).
- Grab the handle with one hand and hold your dragon high.
- Have a dragon parade! Give the kids lots of room to make their dragons dance!
- Choose crepe paper colors associated with Chinese New Year, like red and gold.