Chocolate Candy Hearts
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
The kids will love the results of this easy recipe. All you need are a few items to make your own Valentine's chocolates. Give this candy heart craft away as a gift or enjoy it for yourself!
Find more great Valentine's recipes!
What you'll need:
- Plastic heart-shaped candy mold
- Red, white and cocoa colored candy melts
- Sandwich bags (zipper, not pleated)
- Wax paper
- Wooden skewer or clean craft paint brush
How to make it:
- Put a handful of candy melts into an open zipper sandwich bag.
- Microwave candy in bag for 30-40 seconds or until melted.
- Cut one corner of the bag with scissors to squeeze melted candy through.
Caution: Bag may be hot, so use paper towel or a pot holder to handle it.
- Gently squeeze chocolate out of bag and into the molds.
- Tap the side of the mold tray to knock out any air bubbles and flatten chocolate.
- Place in refrigerator until set.
- Pop out of molds and serve.
Polka dots - Use the flat end of a wooden skewer or a clean craft paint brush to dip into melted chocolate. Dot onto molds, then refrigerate. Remove mold from refrigerator when solid, then add contrasting color according to directions above.
Drizzles - Use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate across the molds by sweeping a spoon back and forth and allowing chocolate to fall in streams. Refrigerate until solid. Add contrasting color according to directions above.
3D Drizzles - Use the spoon method above, however this time drizzle the chocolate over solid candy that you have already made and let set, rather than drizzling into the molds.
- Candy molds can be found at discount department and craft supply stores in the craft section near the cake decorating supplies. They look much like a muffin tin, though much smaller and made from clear plastic.
- You can use chocolate chips instead of candy melts and use food coloring to change or tint white chocolate.
- Be careful when dealing with melted chocolate as it can be very hot. Always supervise children closely when making anything in the kitchen.