Christmas Card Boxes
Parental supervision is recommended
Recycle and transform your old Christmas cards into cute, miniature boxes with this clever craft.
What you'll need:
- Old Christmas cards
- Double stick tape
- White paper or cardstock
- Tissue paper
How to make it:
- Cut the card on the fold line.
- On the inside of the card, measure in an equal amount on all sides. Mark the measurement on all sides and draw the lines from one end to the other.
For example, for a gift certificate box, measure in half an inch on all sides for a thin box.
- On the short end, cut a slit from the end to where the two lines intersect (see red lines on drawing). There will be two cuts on each end.
- Repeat on opposite end.
- Place the ruler on the inside of one line. Hold it and bend the card towards the inside and crease.
- Repeat on each line, creasing.
- Fold the short end (wall) up. Fold one long end up. There will be a "tab" that has been creased that sticks out past the short end.
- Fold the tab to the inside (they are creased). Place a piece of tape on the tab and stick it to the inside "wall" (short end) of the box.
- Repeat for opposite long end.
- Repeat the three steps above for the opposite short end.
- Repeat the above steps for the back of the card. This will be the bottom of the box.
- Cut a piece of paper or cardstock to fit inside the box to cover up the greeting and signature from the card. Tape in place.
- Try assembling the box. If the fit is tight, pull the tabs apart on the bottom of the box and adjust them to fit closer to the inside of the box. Next, pull the tabs apart on the top of the box and loosen the tabs so they don't fit as tight. Try assembling the box again.
- Place a small piece of tissue paper inside the box and put your gift certificate or tiny gift inside.