Christmas Card Display
Parental supervision is recommended
Create an elegant display for all of your holiday cards with foam core board and festive ribbon. Bond with your older children with this two-person project.
What you'll need:
- 100 upholstery tacks (approximate) (they are longer than household tacks)
- Ribbon in one or two colors
- Foam core board
- Hot glue gun
- 2 picture hangers
- 2 nails
How to make it:
- Cut the foam core board down if you desire a smaller size.
- Stretch the fabric over the foam core board and to the back.
- Hot glue the fabric (on the backside) to the foam core board. Be sure the fabric is taut.
- Start by anchoring one ribbon on the back of the board near the top using either hot glue or a tack. (We recommend the hot glue.)
- Stretch the ribbon diagonally across the board and on to the back, holding in place with either a tack or hot glue. Make sure ribbon is taut.
- Continue stretching and tacking ribbon diagonally across the board as shown in photograph. These ribbons are about three inches apart, which seems to work with about any size card.
- Repeat above steps with second color of ribbon (if applicable) going diagonally the opposite way.
- After all ribbon has been stretched and anchored, take tacks and push them in where the ribbons intersect. This will give the ribbons a way to hold the cards.
- Hot glue the picture hangers into place on the (backside) top of the holder. You can hang your Christmas card display either horizontally or vertically.
- Add your cards and enjoy your display!
Buy enough fabric to cover the board and come around to the back by about three to four inches (minimum) on each end. Purchase some ribbon (one parent found it for fifty cents a roll at Wal-Mart). You will most likely need an extra person to help with this project.
Be sure to refer to our photograph for placement of ribbons and tacks.