Christmas Gift Can
Parental supervision is recommended
Who needs a gift bag when you can make a Christmas gift can? This kids' craft is a festive way to recycle your used cans.
What you'll need:
- Food can, any size; washed and dried
- Blue craft paint
- Red craft paint
- Green craft paint
- White craft paint
- Paint shirt
- Old toothbrush (you won't use this on your teeth again!)
- Jar lid
- Coat hanger
- Heavy duty wire cutters
- Needle-nose pliers
- Christmas ribbon
- Tissue paper
How to make it:
- Put on your paint shirt.
- Use a hammer and a nail to punch a hole in the can near the top.
- Repeat on the opposite side of the can. This makes the hole for the coat hanger handle to go through.
- Paint the can with blue paint. Let dry.
- Paint another coat of blue paint, if needed, and let dry.
- Set the can on spread out newspapers.
- Pour some white craft paint into the jar lid.
- Dip the toothbrush in the white paint.
- Point the toothbrush at the can.
- Place your thumb on the toothbrush and pull the bristles toward you. This should send a light spray of paint (snow) towards the can. Repeat to lightly spray the whole can.
- Set the can aside to dry, rinse out the toothbrush and wash the paint off your skin.
- Have an adult cut a length of coat hanger to use as the handle. Use needle-nose pliers to scrunch the handle around the opening on the can. Repeat on the other side.
- Cut a length of ribbon. Tie a bow around the handle right above the can.
- Add a gift and tissue paper.
- If desired, add a gift tag.
You can substitute a chenille stem for the coat hanger. It would be much easier for a child to do by themselves.