This recipe makes a sweet smelling dough that can be made into ornaments or package decorations.
Note: As in all recipes, results can vary depending on humidity, conditions, etc. Please try any recipe out before attempting in a group setting.
What you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cups ground cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup white school glue (like Elmer's)
- 1 medium sized bowl
- Flat surface for kneading
- Wax paper
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters - various types
- Non-stick cooling rack
- Puffy paints, optional
How to make it:
- Mix cinnamon, applesauce, and glue together in a bowl.
- Remove from the bowl and knead the mixture until it turns into a firm clay.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Clay is best used at room temperature. You may need to dust your rolling pin, hands, or working surface with cinnamon, or use wax paper as a working surface.
- Roll out clay with a rolling pin to approximately 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Use cutters to cut out desired shapes (we like gingerbread men).
- If you are going to hang your shape, use a straw to cut out a hole near the top of the shape.
- Place shapes on a non stick cooling rack or wax paper. You will need to keep an eye on them and turn them over occasionally so that they dry evenly and dry flat.
- Dry shapes for approximately five days.
- When dry you may put a ribbon through the hole for hanging on the tree or adding to a package.
- You may add puffy paint to decorate your shapes, if you wish.
Gift ideas: Make an apple ornament to give to your teacher. Make heart ornaments to give to your mother, grandmother, or aunt for Christmas or Mother's Day.