Clay Christmas Tree Ornaments
By: Amy Fryer
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This fun clay can also be used to make your own Christmas presents or decorations for the tree—use your imagination!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups baking soda (1 pound)
- 1 ¼ cups cold water
- Food coloring
- Tempera paint (water colors) or
- Acrylic paint
- Shellac or clear nail polish
How to make it:
- Stir the cornstarch, baking soda, and water in a saucepan over medium heat for about four minutes or until it thickens to moist mashed potato consistency.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, turn out onto a plate, and cover with a damp cloth until cool.
- Knead as you would dough.
- Shape as desired, use cookie cutters, or store in airtight container or plastic bag for later use.
- Variation: For color ornaments, add a few drops of food coloring to the water before it is mixed in with the cornstarch and soda. Additionally, objects may be left to dry and then painted with water (tempera) colors or acrylics. Dip them in shellac or brush with clear nail polish to seal them.