Parental supervision is recommended
Have a blast making your own clay volcano -- it even erupts! Modeling the volcano out of clay is a fun craft for kids and making it erupt is the icing on the cake. Great for dinosaur birthday parties.
What you'll need:
- Large plastic or foam plate
- Brown FIMO clay (or another clay you can bake)
- Orange FIMO clay
- Plastic film canister
- Plastic disposable knife
- Wax paper
- Aluminum foil
- Tacky glue
- Cookie sheet
- Alka-Seltzer tablets (generic is fine)
- Water in a cup (with pour spout)
How to make it:
- Tear off a piece of wax paper and lay out on the table.
- Tear off a piece of foil about the size of a piece of notebook paper.
- Roll the foil into a snake-like form.
- Wrap the foil snake around the base of the canister to create a wider base for the volcano.
- Create additional foil snakes if needed.
- Use glue to connect the snakes if you have difficulty with them staying in place.
- Continue until you get the basic shape of the volcano created.
- Knead brown clay until easy to work with then lay aside on the wax paper.
- Knead the orange clay until easy to work with then lay aside on the wax paper.
- Take the brown clay and push out on the wax paper until thin and flat. (Note: Do not use rolling pins that you would use again on food!)
- Cover the canister and foil snakes with a flat layer of brown clay.
- Do not have the clay enter the inside of the canister as you will need to remove the canister before baking.
- Make an erupting lava look by using the orange clay and making lava drips. (see photo)
- Remove the film canister. Make sure the volcano holds its' shape.
- Tear off a piece of foil big enough for the volcano to sit on. Place on cookie sheet.
- Place volcano on foil.
- Bake according to manufacturer's instructions. Let cool.
- Carefully insert the film canister.
- Place the volcano on the disposable plate.
- Add one Alka-Seltzer tablet to the canister. (Break tablet in half, if needed)
- Add water about 1/2 way up the canister.
- Watch your volcano erupt before your eyes!