By: Amy Fryer
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
When it's too cold or rainy to enjoy a great mud pie outside, try this activity in the house—without the mess!
What you'll need:
- Medium-sized tub or tote preferably with lid
- Roll of toilet paper
- Bar of ivory soap
- Knife or vegetable peeler
- Measuring cups
- Water/sand toys
How to make it:
- Have the children shred toilet paper into the tub or tote.
- Next, shave the bar of ivory soap into the tub.
- Add enough water so that the toilet paper is well soaked but not drowning.
- Add just a touch of Borax (this helps keep the "mud" from molding and will allow the mixture to keep longer).
- Place a lid over the box and let the mixture sit overnight.
- The mixture will turn into a slimy consistency, much like real mud, once the toilet paper has disintegrated.
- Have the kids use their hands to manipulate the gooey mess or use measuring cups and other sand and water toys.
- When finished, place the lid back on the container, and your "mud" will keep for several days of clean fun.