Clip Art Candleholder
Parental supervision is recommended
With the help of an adult, your child can transform a simple can into their own custom designed clip art mini-lantern.
What you'll need:
- Small can (such as 5 oz. evaporated milk or small can of Hunt's Tomato Sauce)
- Simple clip art that will fit on can
- Rubber bands
- Spray paint
- Ribbon, optional
How to make it:
- Take a smooth surfaced small can. Clean it and fill it with water. Freeze until ice is solid.
- Print simple clip art that is a bit smaller than the can. Stars, pine trees, snowflakes, hearts and pumpkins come out well and make nice gifts.
- Cover the can with the clip art picture and rubber band it so it doesn't slide around.
- Poke holes in the can in the shape of the clip art with a hammer and a nail. Try to space the holes equally apart and be consistent with size.
- Let ice melt, dry can and spray paint (white), it may need a second coat. Use another nail to whittle the holes to equal one another when dry.
- Place a tea light candle in the can and put it on a trivet in a safe dark place. If you want, you can decorate it with some ribbon.
I first saw this project done by Donna Bucci at The 1860 House Cultural Center in Montgomery Township, NJ. I thought it would make a perfect computer / craft / carpentry activity. Kids will need help, I recommend this for over 7 years old.