Clown Pencil Topper
Parental supervision is recommended
If the upper ends of pencils strike you as boring, then liven them up with these clown pencil toppers. This is a fun craft for kids that doubles as a great birthday party activity and takeaway for guests.
Looking for more craft ideas? Be sure to visit our back-to-school crafts listing.
What you'll need:
- 1 1/2" Styrofoam ball
- Tiny red pom-pom, optional
- Red small pom-pom
- Tiny wiggle eyes, optional
- Markers in black and red
- Felt scrap for hat
- Tacky glue
- 2 Green chenille stems or pipe cleaners
- Wire cutters
How to make it:
- Cut a small circle out of felt. Make a slit towards the middle only going half way across the circle.
- Bend the circle into a cone shape that will fit the clown's head. Glue the cone shape together to make a hat, then glue the hat to the top of the clown.
- Use markers to draw on the eyes and mouth or glue on wiggle eyes.
- Glue the tiny red pom-pom nose and the larger pom-pom on the hat.
- Set the clown head down to dry.
- Use the green chenille stem to create a body that will wind around the pencil with legs. Use the wire cutters to cut the second chenille stem in half. Please have an adult do this!
- Wind the arms around the pencil to create the hands and arms. Slip the body on the pencil.
- Add the head by poking the end of the pencils or scissors in the bottom of the head to make a hole for the pencil. Place on the eraser end of the pencil.
- Let the guest take home their clown at the end of the party.