Coffee Can Scarecrow
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
This adorable scarecrow made from a coffee can is the perfect decoration for your fall party table!
What you'll need:
- Coffee can
- 2 sheets tan felt
- Small scrap of orange felt
- 2 large mismatched buttons
- 18" twine
- White craft glue
- Instant grab glue
- Small straw hat
- 2 silk flowers
How to make it:
- Put lid on coffee can. Cover coffee can with tan felt using white craft glue. (See photo.)
- Place coffee can on its side and use instant grab glue to pipe on the mouth. Cut twine to fit on the glue smile and press in place. Cut remaining twine into one inch pieces. Use instant grab glue to attach to the smile in a stitch type fashion. (See photo.)
- To make the nose, cut a triangle from orange felt and use instant grab glue to attach it just above the smile.
- Use instant grab glue to attach two buttons for eyes.
- Stand coffee can up and pipe a generous amount of white craft glue onto the coffee can lid. Cut raffia into 18" lengths and place on top of lid, covering the lid (be sure the raffia lines up properly with the facial features!). Let dry. (See photo.)
- Glue the hat onto the raffia hair.
- Glue two silk flowers to the hat. (See photo.)
- Many coffee companies are moving using plastic containers. You can still use these plastic containers to create this craft, or scale down the size and use a vegetable can instead.
- If you prefer a more cutesy face, use wiggle eyes instead of buttons.
- Yarn can be used instead of twine for the smile.