Coffee Filter Butterflies
Difficulty: Very Easy
Parental supervision is recommended
Watercolor paints transform coffee filters into rainbow butterflies. Paint a paper plate like the sky so your kids can hang their butterflies and have an instant mobile.
What you'll need:
- Black chenille stem
- Paper coffee filter
- Water color paints
- Paint brush
- Wire cutters
- Needle nose pliers
How to make it:
- Cut the black chenille stem in half. (You will only use 1 piece for this project)
- Using water color paints, paint the coffee filter. Let dry.
- Fold the black chenille stem in half.
- Twist the bent end about 1/2" from the bend.
- Accordion pleat the coffee filter in about 1/2" pleats.
- Slide the butterfly in-between the black ends of the chenille stem.
- Twist the black chenille stem above the butterfly to hold it in place.
- Separate the ends of the black chenille stem.
- Bend one end of the black chenille stem over about 1/4". Bend again.
- Repeat with other end. This makes the antennas.
- Fan out the butterfly's wings.
- If desired, hang with yarn or fishing line to make a mobile as described above.
If you're in a hurry or want to shorten clean-up time--consider decorating the coffee filters with markers as opposed to water color paints.