Colored Pencil Can
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
This colored pencil can is pretty and functional! What makes this holder special is that the pencils can be removed, used, and then pressed back onto the outside of the can!
This makes a fabulous gift for a teacher or a fun back-to-school activity.
What you'll need:
- Large empty soup can
- White paint
- Colorful fabric
- White craft glue
- 1-2 strips mounting putty
- Large box of colored pencils
- White ribbon (optional)
How to make it:
- Paint can with white paint and let dry. (See photo.)
- Cut two strips of material long enough to wrap around the top and bottom of the can to create a decorative border. Attach with white craft glue. (See photo.)
- Roll the mounting putty in your palms and wrap around the center of the can.
- Press colored pencils into the putty, working your way all the way around the can. (See photo.)
- Tie a piece of ribbon around the can for a decorative touch.
- If your pencils keep falling out of the putty, either increase the amount of putty you are using, or add more putty around the can toward the bottom or top.
- To use a pencil, simply pull it off the putty, and then gently press it back into the putty to put it back.
- Adding the fabric border is just a decorative step and can be skipped if you prefer.