Computer Monitor Foam Frame
Decorate your computer monitor with this colorful and simple foam frame craft made of pre-cut foam shapes. This makes a great gift for Mother's Day or Father's day.
What you'll need:
- 2 craft foam sheets for the frame
- Craft foam scraps to decorate the frame
- Glue (school or tacky)
- Self-Adhesive Velcro
- Yard stick or measuring tape
- Ruler (optional for helping draw lines)
- Paper (to make patterns)
- Glitter paint or craft paint, optional
- Paint markers, optional
- Pencil box, recommended for storage
How to make it:
- Measure the outside dimension of monitor screen. Write this down.
- Measure the monitor from the outside to the inside of the screen on EACH side. Write this down.
- Cut a "frame" out of a craft foam sheet using the following measurements. Note: You may need to use more than one sheet of craft foam.
a) Cut the outside of the monitor according to the first measurements you wrote down.
b) Mark the inside lines. (for example: My monitor screen is 16" wide and the sides are 1 1/2" deep. I will measure 1 1/2" in from the sides and draw lines using a ruler. Be sure to check if your top and bottom measurements are the same!)
c) Cut on the lines you just drew. Use the inside (leftover) craft foam for either decorating the frame or for other craft projects.
- Make a mini frame out of craft foam, cutting it to be about 1" larger on all sides than your small school photo. Cut the inside out so your photo shows through. (Hint: You may want to make a paper pattern first)
- Using the other craft foam colors, cut out decorations for the frame.
- Attach the frame on 3 sides (leave the top open so you can slide the picture in and out) to one corner of the monitor. Add more frames if you have siblings. Decorate the frame with either cut out flowers or other items from the craft foam sheets. You can also use glitter paint or paint markers.
- Create scenes for the frame. Maybe you would like to create seasonal pictures that can be changed: a snow scene, Valentines Day, 4th of July, Birthday, Christmas, beach scene. (Hint: Make the pieces able to fit in a pencil box for easy storage!)
- Cut small pieces of Velcro and attach to the back of each decoration.
Important: You will want to make sure that you put the rough side of the Velcro attached to the frame and the soft pieces attached to the decorations. This will make it easy to store and won't scuff up the pieces when they are stored.
- Cut about 1" long strips and attach to the back of the frame and to the monitor.