By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
This versatile cone witch can be as simple or as extravagant as your child wants it to be. A great project for many different age levels!
Be sure to visit all of our other ghostly crafts, scary printables, fabulous costume ideas and these spook-tackular Halloween recipes! As well, explore our fall crafts, our great fall recipes and printable activities.
What you'll need:
- 1 sheet each black and green construction paper
- White craft glue
- ½ sheet each white and purple construction paper
- Red marker, paint pen, colored pencil, or crayon
- Glue stick
- Gold paint pen
- Miniature green pom-pom
- 2 medium yellow wiggle eyes
- Black fine tip marker
How to make it:
- Roll black paper into a cone shape and secure with tape. Use scissors to trim off excess so that the cone will stand on its own. Save black paper scraps for later steps. (See photo.)
- Cut the hat pattern from black paper. Place the hat "donut" on top of the cone and gently slide down. Where the hat brim ends is where you will glue the green strip for the witch's face.
- Cut a two-inch wide strip from green paper and apply glue stick. You will need enough green paper to wrap around the cone. The paper will cross in the back (see tips for an alternate method). Glue the strip in place just under the hat brim. (See photo.)
- Glue the hat brim in place using white craft glue. (See photo.)
- Use the same method as in step 3 to create the belt, but make the width about 3/4 of an inch.
- Cut two leg patterns from the white paper and two shoe patterns from the black paper. Draw red stripes onto the white legs then glue the black shoes to the ends of the legs. Use a gold paint pen to draw buckles onto shoes. (See photo.)
- Fold the legs in half and apply glue stick to the top halves. Insert legs into the bottom of the cone and press against the sides to adhere. (See photo.)
- Cut purple paper into two-inch long strips, about ¼" wide. Glue around the head for the hair and cut a few of the strips into shorter pieces for the bangs.
- Glue on wiggle eyes and pom-pom for the nose, and then add a mouth with black marker. (See photo.)
- For the final touches, use a gold paint pen to add a buckle to the hat and cut a buckle from black paper (or draw on with a marker) and glue to the belt. (See photo.)
- If you prefer that the back of the witch be a bit neater, after creating your black cone, create a cone from green paper the same size. Cut the face and belt section from the green cone and slide down onto the black cone just as you did with the hat.
- Colorful wiggle eyes are available at craft supply stores.
- If you like, glue the legs at the front of the cone and bend them to create knees, and then hang off the side of the table.