Corn Cob Napkin Rings
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
The importance of corn to early Americans makes this fun and easy project especially fitting for Thanksgiving—and an attractive addition to your holiday table.
What you'll need:
- Cardboard toilet paper tubes
- Yellow and orange poster paints
- New pencil with an eraser top
- Scissors or craft knife
How to make it:
- Cut the toilet paper tubes into two-and-one-half-inch sections using scissors or a craft knife (under adult supervision). You will need one section for each napkin ring that you will make.
- Pour a small amount of different colored paints—yellow, red, orange, white, and black work well—onto a paper plate.
- Show your child how to dip the pencil eraser into some paint and practice stamping corn kernel shapes onto paper.
- Once she has mastered this printing technique, have your child hold the bottom of the ring and print rows of kernels all around the tube. Mix the colors as you wish.
- Set the tube rings out to dry.
- Place cloth or paper napkins through the rings and use them to decorate your Thanksgiving table.