Craft Stick Jewelry Box
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
Want to give Mom or Grandma a thoughtful gift she'll always cherish? Well, grab some craft sticks and glue because we're putting you to work at making this fun jewelry box that doubles as a cherished keepsake.
What you'll need:
- 1 package of craft sticks, size of your choice
- White craft glue
- Pony bead or buttons
- White acrylic paint (optional)
- Pink glitter glue (optional)
- Craft jewels (optional)
- Paint brush
- Wax paper
How to make it:
- Lay several craft sticks on the wax paper, next to each other and touching. Be sure to line them up evenly.
- Use two more craft sticks and glue on top of the others, one at each end, to hold the rest together. (See photo) They will look similar to a fence or log raft.
- Use two more craft sticks and glue ends of stick to the ends of the sticks that are already in place so that they create a square. Keep repeating this alternating process to build up the sides as high as you would like.
- Make the lid by repeating steps 1 & 2 above.
- Let everything dry completely.
- You can leave your box plain or choose to paint it. You can also add a shiny effect by painting on a layer of glitter glue over white paint.
- Glue a pony bead to the center of the finished lid as a handle.
- You can further embellish your jewelry box by decorating it with craft jewels.
- If you don't have a pony bead, find a couple of matching buttons and stack them with glue.
- If you would like to make a ring holder, use miniature craft sticks. For a larger box use jumbo craft sticks.
- Use a black permanent marker to write your child's name and the year on the bottom of the box. This makes a great keepsake for your memory box!
- Craft sticks are readily available at any craft store and discount department stores. A frugal option is to save popsicle sticks in the summer, wash them then use for crafts after they dry.