Crepe Paper Flag
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This patriotic door decoration will show your Independence Day spirit. Display it proudly in a window or your front door for all your friends and family to see.
What you'll need:
- 11"x14" piece of white poster board or cardstock
- 4 24"-long pieces of red crepe paper streamers
- 3 24"-long pieces of white crepe paper streamers
- 1 20"-piece of blue crepe paper streamer cut into 4 equal strips extra piece of white crepe paper streamer, approximately 8" long
- 6"x6" square of white or blue construction paper
- White craft glue
- 18" long piece of white yarn
- Shipping tape
How to make it:
- Trim the poster board to 9 ¾" x 14".
- At the 9 ¾" end of the poster board, measure out ¾" segments, you should have 13 all together.
- Use a pencil to draw a line upward from each measurement to use as a guide for your flag's stripes. (See photo.)
- Cut the four strips of red crepe paper streamers in half (lengthwise) to create a total of 8 24"-long strips. (See photo.)
- Cut the three strips of white crepe paper streamers in half (lengthwise) to create a total of 6 24"-long strips.
- Apply glue the first section of the poster board using your penciled line as a guide. (See photo.) Take one of your strips of red streamer and position it about a ½" of the streamer so that it hangs over the top of the poster board. (See photo.) Place the streamer over the glue on the poster board, patting it down flat. You will have a considerable amount of streamer left hanging over the edge of the poster board.
- Repeat step 6 using a white strip, overlapping the red strip slightly. (See photo.)
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 until all strips are in place. You will have one extra red strip left over. Save for another project.
- Glue the blue strips of crepe paper onto the 6"x6" construction paper and trim off excess. (See photo.) Glue the blue covered square to the upper left-hand corner of the flag.
- Use white glue to add "star" dots onto the blue square. (See photo.) If you want to be historically accurate, add 50 stars, alternating rows of 6 and rows of 5. There should be 5 rows of 6 stars and 4 rows of 5 stars.
- Tear the last piece of white crepe paper into 1" squares and wrap them around the end of a pencil eraser. (See photo.) Press each one onto the glue dots and allow to dry.
- Turn flag over and apply some glue to the top, then bend over the excess crepe paper and glue in place. (See photo.)
- Attach yarn hanger by using shipping tape.
- This project can be made with tissue paper but crepe paper is easier to work with.
- Use a suction cup hanger to display your flag in a window.