Difficulty: Very Easy
Parental supervision is recommended
If you already know how to crochet and have all the materials, this crochet snake is easy to make. It will probably be more challenging if you're new to crochet.
What you'll need:
- Small amount of sage green 4-ply yarn (or color of your choice)
- Red embroidery floss, small piece
- Tiny piece of red felt for tongue
- 2 wiggle eyes
- Size "J" crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Approximately 6 inches of gathering lace
- 1 small bell
- Ribbon for small bow, ribbon roses, etc.
How to make it:
- Crochet snake:
- START: Ch 100.
- Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and in each st across row, ch 1 turn.
- Rows 2, 3, & 4, Sc in each st across row, ch 1, turn. At end of row 4 leave about 12-14 inches of yarn, cut off. (Pull this yarn through last worked loop so that it doesn't ravel)
- Take the end that has the 12-14 inches of yarn on, thread yarn needle, start to roll to make head (keeping the rows even). As you roll, push your needle through to catch that row, continue until the head measures about 1 3/4 in. in diameter. Sew back and forth through the head to keep secure. Be careful that you don't pull to tight, or you will have dents. As you are going back and forth through the head pull the row out a little to help form a neat, round head. Take a stitch at base of head. (Fold about 1 inch from to join to body.) This will hold the head in place and keep the head standing up.
- Mouth: with red embroidery floss, stitch a big smile on Rosy's face.
- Cut tongue from red felt, stitch or glue to center of mouth.
- Glue eyes in place.
- Gather a piece of gathering lace to fit around snakes neck, tack on.
- Glue ribbon bow and flowers to center top of lace.
- STITCH SMALL BELL TO TAIL OF ROSY.