Crystal Candy Christmas Ornament Card
By: Claudine Casault
Age: 3 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Have a ball this holiday season by making this beautiful Christmas ornament card.
What you'll need:
- 3-1/2" polystyrene (aka-"Styrofoam") ball
- 1/4" Ribbon (recommended: 2 types)
- 1/8" Ribbon (recommended: 3 types)
- Silver bells (recommended: medium size)
- Fine white glitter
- White cardstock
- Diamonds or brads
- Watered-down craft glue (recommended: Mod Podge)
- Paint brush
- Hot glue gun
How to make it:
Step 1: Ball Ornament Card
- Cut a 3-1/2" diameter polystyrene chip ball in half with scissors.
- Fold a 4” x 4” piece of cardstock in half.
- Place one of the polystyrene chip ball halves on top of the folded card.
- Trace out ball shape with pencil, leaving 1” of folded edge at top.
- Cut out the circle shape from the cardstock.
- Glue one half of the polystyrene chip ball on front and one half of the ball on back of card,
completely covering the cardstock.
Step 2: White Glitter
- Cover front and back of ball with a thin layer of watered-down craft glue.
- Sprinkle with white glitter and let dry.
Step 3: Ribbon Strips
- Wrap a long piece of 1/4" ribbon completely around the edge of one half of the polystyrene ball. Make sure the ends of the ribbon are at the bottom of the card (on the opposite side of the card fold). Hot glue into place. Allow excess ribbon to dangle from bottom of ball.
Cut out a 25” long piece of 1/4” ribbon and create a 4” loop.
- Glue 4” loop to top of ball (where the card fold is located) leaving ribbon ends free.
- Glue one ribbon end down the middle of one half of the polystyrene ball and the other ribbon end down the middle of the other half of the polystyrene ball.
- Allow excess ribbon to dangle from bottom of card.
- Cut two 25” long pieces of 1/8" ribbon and tie a 4” loop on each. Hot glue each loop to the top of the ball, and glue the ribbon ends along parts of the polystyrene ball that have not yet been covered.
- Cut a 12” long piece of 1/8” white ribbon and tie a double bow around base of loops at top of ball.
Step 4: Diamonds and Bells
- Glue three diamonds between each strip of ribbon.
- Thread various sized bells through ribbon and glue evenly apart.
- Substitute glitter for paint.
Claudine Casault is a craft developer living in Ontario, Canada.