Dad Rocks Paperweight
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
What dad could resist using this glittery paperweight on his desk to show off your love for him? Paint it with his favorite color or to match his office décor.
What you'll need:
- 1 rock heavy enough to weight down paper, about a palm size
- Acrylic paint (We chose blue)
- Gold glitter glue
- Acrylic sealer spray
- Black marker
How to make it:
- Choose a rock that is about the size of your palm. It should be heavy enough to weight down a few papers and not be blown away.
- Wash the rock with warm, soapy water and a scrub brush; be sure to get into all the crevices. Wipe off water with a towel.
- After rock has completely dried, paint the entire rock with acrylic paint. Let the paint dry and then paint on a second coat.
- Paint the entire rock with a thin layer of glitter glue and then let dry.
- Use a squeezable glitter glue bottle to carefully write “DAD ROCKS” on the rock. Let dry overnight.
- The next day, use a black marker to outline the letters to make them stand out better.
- Get a grown-up to spray the entire surface of rock with acrylic sealer spray.
- Instead of writing the words with glitter glue, try a paint pen. They write like a pen but go on like paint. You can find them at your local craft supply store.
- Some glitter glues dry puffy and some dry flat (like ours). Experiment with yours first if you like to see how it will turn out.
- Instead of just one rock, paint two and put “DAD” on one and “ROCKS” on the other for a matching set.