Dalmatian Bank or Cookie Jar
Parental supervision is recommended
Let your child's birthday party go to the dogs with this fun dalmatian bank and cookie jar craft. Pre-cut the felt and set up the materials ahead of time for a fun and simple activity.
What you'll need:
- 8 quart Kool-Aid canister; washed and dried
- Straight pins
- White felt
- Black felt
- Red felt
- Black permanent marker or "Painters" paint marker
- 2 (20 mm) wiggle eyes
- Tacky glue
- Craft knife, optional
How to make it:
- Print the pattern for the ears and nose.
Note to Mac Users: Choose "shrink to fit" option on above pattern and see tips area below.
- Cut out the patterns.
- Fold the felt in half.
- Pin the ear pattern on the felt matching the fold line to the folded edge of felt.
- Cut out the ears.
- Cut out small black felt circles and oval shapes and attach to ears with tacky glue. Let dry.
- Glue eyes on the side of the lid. Screw on lid to the canister. (see photo)
- Use pattern for nose and cut out of black felt. Note: You may have to put in one pin to hold and cut around. Glue on canister.
- Draw mouth lines on the canister.
- Cut a red tongue and attach with tacky glue.
- Cut a slit in the lid for the bank, if desired.
- Lay the ears in position on the top of the canister. Cut slit in middle of ears for the bank (if bank is desired).
- Use tacky glue to attach the ears to the top of the bank. Let the sides hang loose.
- Let dry thoroughly.
- Make and bake sugar cookie "dog biscuits" and put inside canister as a special treat or fill with party goodies.
- You can roll out refrigerated sugar cookie dough and cut with bone-shaped cookie cutters. Sprinkle with sugar and bake according to directions on package. Place the cookies inside the canister and give as a party gift to each child!
- Note the size of the ears we made is approximately 3 1/4" wide x 12" long. You can make the ears any size you wish.