Dancing Reindeer Christmas Card
By: Claudine Casault
Age: 4 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
So you've heard that reindeer can fly--but did you know that they can also dance? Create this jingly, jangly Christmas card that can also be hung as a charming door or window decroation.
What you'll need:
- Design cardstock
- Brown cardstock
- 1/4" ribbon
- Small, medium & large bells
- 1/8" ribbon
- White glitter
- Brown faux suede fabric
- Watered-down craft glue (recommended: Mod Podge)
- Paint brush
- Double-sided padded tape
- Glue stick
- Hot glue gun
- Paper & fabric scissors
How to make it:
Step 1: Pattern
- Trace and cut out reindeer pattern on brown cardstock
- Trace and cut out circle pattern on design cardstock. For the circular card, use a folded piece of cardstock, matching it up to the "fold line" indicated on the pattern.
- Trace and cut out eyes, hooves and nose on brown cardstock.
Step 2: Reindeer
- Cover cardstock reindeer with brown faux suede fabric and glue using a glue stick.
- Cut off excess fabric.
- On the cardstock, place double-sided padded tape on the back of the reindeer’s face, back leg and front leg.
- Stick the reindeer on top of circle card so that the reindeer's head touches the top of the circle.
- Glue eyes, nose and hooves on reindeer.
- Apply watered-down glue near the edges of reindeer and sprinkle with white glitter.
- Cut a 2" long piece of 1/4" ribbon and sew or hot glue the small bells onto the ribbon to make a color for the reindeer.
- Glue bell collar around reindeer’s neck.
Step 3: Reindeer Antlers
- Cut two twig branches for antlers.
- Cover antlers with a thin coat of watered-down glue and sprinkle with white glitter.
- Hot glue antlers on top of reindeer’s head.
- Step 4: Ribbons and Bells
- Cut a 15" long piece of 1/4” ribbon and create a 4” loop at one end.
- Glue ribbon down the center of the back of the circle card so that the non-looped end of the ribbon starts at the very bottom of the circle.
- With another piece of ¼" ribbon, create a bow and hot glue it to the bottom of the front of the card.
- Cut a 15" long piece of 1/8" ribbon and tie a double bow. Hot glue the double bow on top of 1/4" ribbon bow.
- Thread different size bells to the two ends ends of 1/8" ribbon and secure hot glue.
- Sew three small bells on top of the loop handle.
- Substitute fabric with colored cardstock.
- If the eyes and nose are too small for kids to cut out, have them draw them on to the reindeer instead.
Claudine Casault is a craft developer living in Ontario, Canada.