Decoupage Collage Box
By: Amanda Formaro
Difficulty: Very Easy
Age: 5 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
With a few craft sticks, some paint, and a lot of imagination, your child can have a personalized door hanger to call his/her own. This project is simple and it’s fun to make.
Be sure to visit all of our classic crafts for more fun ideas!
What you'll need:
- Papier–mâché box with lid
- Old magazines
- White craft glue
How to make it:
- Go through old magazines and cut out pictures, words and phrases of things that you like.
- Mix 2 parts white glue and 1 part water, mix together. (Recommended amount: 2 tsp glue and 1 tsp water. You can always make more if you run short, rather than having too much and having to throw it away.) Mixture should be paintable but not too thick.
- Paint mixture onto one side of the box.
- Place pictures on glue and paint glue mixture over the top of the picture.
- Cover all sides and lid with pictures, phrases and words.
- As glue begins to dry pictures may bubble a little. Gently flatten with your fingers as it dries.
- Travel magazines are perfect for making a vacation box. Look for advertisements with small pictures and fun phrases.
- Try dirt bike and motorcycle magazines for the adventurous child.
- Be sure to clean paintbrush out when you are finished or the glue will harden and ruin it.