Chinese Dragon Parade
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 7 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
Watch your child parade around with pride with this handmade crepe paper Chinese dragon craft to help celebrate the Chinese New Year.
What you'll need:
- Tempera or acrylic crafts paints in colors of your choice
- Paintbrushes or sponges (optional)
- Wide crepe paper (3/5” – 4”) OR crepe paper streamers
- 2 additional colors of crepe paper streamers in bright colors
- Construction paper, markers or paint to decorate head
- 7” paper plate
- 1 sheet heavy paper such as card stock or poster board
- Packaging tape
How to make it:
- To make the body of the dragon, cut a strip of wide crepe paper between 4 to 6 feet long. If you are using crepe paper streamers, cut three equal lengths (4-6’) and tape them together side by side to make one wide strip.
- Use a paintbrush, sponge, or just dip your finger in paint and decorate the body with dots and/or dashes. (See photo.) Hang the body somewhere to dry. A clothesline or over the top of a door is a good place because it will be able to remain undisturbed while it dries.
- Trim both sides off the paper plate as shown.
- Fold the plate in half to form the head. Decorate the head with colorful construction paper, markers, or paint. (See photo.) Add eyes, nostrils, and lashes. You can also glue a construction paper tongue inside the mouth, or use a red marker. (See photo.)
- Using the 2 additional colors of crepe paper streamers, cut two 12” lengths from one color and three 12 lengths from the other color. Fold the strips in half lengthwise and crease. Fold and crease again, then unfold.
- Have children cut along the creases forming long thin strips up each 12” length of streamer. Leave one inch of uncut space at the top of each strip. This will allow you to attach each of the fringed strips as one piece instead of four. (See photo.)
- Turn the paper plate head over and tape four of the fringed strips (2 of each color) to the folded side to create the mane. Tape the remaining fringed strip to the “chin” to create the beard. (See photo.)
- Leave the head turned upside down and tape one end of the body, painted side facing down toward the work surface, over the top o the fringed mane strips. (See photo.)
- Roll up the sturdy paper into a tight handle, secure with tape. Use scissors to cut four 1” long strips from the large end of the handle, and then fold them downward. (See photo.)
- Place the handle, large cut end down onto the end of the body that you just taped to the head. Tape the handle in place. (See photo.)
- Carefully turn your dragon over and parade around! (See photo.)
- If you are doing this as a group project it’s a good idea to make one ahead to use as a sample.
- Save crepe paper streamers from birthday parties to use in craft projects.
- Buy construction paper in large variety packs to have on hand for impromptu projects.