Drinking straw bead necklace
Difficulty: Very Easy
Parental supervision is recommended
For handmade jewelry that's sure to stand out, try this drinking straw bead necklace craft. With appropriately colored straws it's perfect for national holidays like Canada Day or Independence Day.
What you'll need:
- Drinking straws in various colours
- String and/or yarn
- Safety scissors
- Safety pin
How to make it:
- Take a number of different coloured drinking straws (I take the ones the kids have used and wash them.) and cut them up into different sizes.
- Thread a needle with yarn, string, or thread -- single strand not knotted at the end. Make sure the yarn is a little bit longer than the length needed for the finished necklace.
- Tie the end of yarn around the safety pin so that the safety pin can be removed later. The safety pin prevents the straw pieces from falling off the other end of the yarn.
- Thread the straw pieces onto the yarn until the necklace is the desired length.
- Remove the safety pin and tie the two ends of the yarn together. Cut off any extra yarn.
I find large, round ended darning needles are the best to use.