Earth Day Messenger Card
By: Claudine Casault
Age: 6 and up
This homemade messenger card creates a wonderful opportunity for your family to work on something together for Earth Day and to discover unique ways of reusing and recycling household materials.
What you'll need:
- Old greeting cards & colored envelope
- Double-sided padded adhesive tape
- Glue stick or Palmer's glue
- 8 small rhinesone diamonds
- Recycled jewelry wire necklace & charm
- Fishing line
- Tooth pick
- Thin ribbon
- Ultra thin marker
- Printable pattern
How to make it:
BIRD / WINGS
- Align bird template with folded edge of a recycled card, trace and cut out.
- Trace and cut out the remainder of the template pieces onto greeting card.
- Trace and cut (2) pieces of (Wing E) using a coloured envelope.
WING A and B
- Place a piece of double-sided padded tape on the back of (Wing A) and (Wing B) and place one wing on the front and one wing on the back of card.
LAYERING THE WINGS
- Use small scissors to cut long thin strips up to 1/2" from the top of wing.
- Curl each strip by rolling it onto a toothpick with your fingers one at a time.
- Place double-sided padded tape on the back of Wing C and place on wing tip of Wing A.
- Repeat Step one for Wing C.
- Place on top and in centre of Wing C (slightly overlapping).
- Glue the colored cut-out to the back of Wing E (ensure some color is showing on the front of the wing).
- Glue 3 diamonds on the wing.
- Place double-sided padded tape to the back of Wing E and place on top of Wing D (slightly overlapping).
- Glue (1) diamond on front and back of card for eyes .
- Glue a thin ribbon on inside of card and close to the inside of the bird’s beak.
- Write out a custom message or poem on a small piece of paper.
- Roll up the message and use a toothpick to give it a tight roll.
- Tie a small bow around the poem.
- Attach a charm to the hoop or steel wire.
- Take a needle and pierce a small hole at the top centre folded edge of the card.
- Floss a string of fishing line through the hole and make a knot inside the card.
- Use another piece of long fishing line to hang the sun-catcher and create a loop at the opposite end.
- You can find items such as fishing line at your local hardware store.
- You can substitute any type of recyclable card you wish for the bird.
- Substitute diamonds for small beads or buttons.
- Silver hoop necklace can be substituted for wire -- wrap wire around a large tin can to give it a perfect circle.