String Easter Eggs
Parental supervision is recommended
What you'll need:
- Colored crochet string
- Liquid stiffener *
- Large plastic sheets (to cover work area)
- Waxed paper or plastic (to dry project on)
- Gallon sized plastic bag
- Wet washrags
- Lace, ribbon, etc.; optional
How to make it:
- Pull string out a little bit at a time out of the bag, using your fingers to squeeze excess stiffener off. Wrap around the balloon in a criss cross fashion... until well covered. There will be a lot of "air" space in it...it does not make it solid.
- Let dry on something like wax paper or plastic.
- When egg is dry (could be a couple of days!), pop the balloon and remove it.
- Then you can either hot glue or regular glue ribbons, pearls, laces, or other decorations on the outside...or cut it open and fill with Easter grass and decorations. Or you can just hang it or put it on the table as is.
- How much crochet string does it use? If I remember right with the Large balloons we blew up...it was probably a whole large spool of crochet thread to cover it.
- These came out really pretty with multi-colored crochet string.
* Liquid Stiffener - this is sold at many craft and fabric stores and is used to make fabric stiff (like starch). It is often used to make cheesecloth ghosts around Halloween.