Faux Leather Pen Holder
By: Amanda Formaro
Age: 5 and up
Make your dad this great-looking pen holder for his desk or tool bench. Its handsome exterior resembles aged leather. He will cherish the gift for years to come!
What you'll need:
- Empty can
- Masking tape
- Brown shoe polish
- Old rag
- ½ sheet of brown felt
- Brown or Earth tone beads
- Hot glue gun
- Acrylic sealer spray
How to make it:
- Be sure can is washed inside and out and completely dry. Trace a circle from the can onto the brown felt and set the felt aside.
- Tear off pieces of masking tape and cover the can completely with it, including the bottom and overlapping the rim.
- Apply brown shoe polish all over the masking tape. The more you use the darker it will get. Wipe off excess with an old rag. Set aside to dry completely.
- Cut around the circle shape on the felt (see Step 1) NOT on the lines, but about ½" around the outside and inside of the line you traced. This will make a ring.
- Using the line you traced as your guide, pipe a line of hot glue onto the felt. Quickly place the rim of the can onto the glue, adhering the felt ring to the top of the can.
- With an adult's help, hot glue the sides of the felt down to the inside and outside of the can rim.
- Glue beads around the bottom edge of the brown felt on the outside of the can.
- Pull off any leftover hot glue strings to clean up your project.
- Spray can with acrylic sealer spray.
- Use good quality shoe polish, not the dollar store kind. Dollar store shoe polish is very watery and does not stain well.
- For younger kids, you can skip the steps for the felt rim and use a line of masking tape instead. Have them string the beads onto a sturdy piece of yarn or cord and hot glue that around the rim for them.
- Be sure to write "Father's Day" and the year you made it on the bottom of the can!