Difficulty: Very Easy
Parental supervision is recommended
Chinese New Year is the perfect time to celebrate with this felt snake craft. Kids can use it to decorate pens, pencils or whatever they please.
What you'll need:
- Red felt
- Black marker
- Glue or tacky glue
- 2 (6 mm) wiggle eyes
- Chenille stem (any color)
How to make it:
- Lay the ruler on the long edge of the felt.
- Use your marker to draw a line the length of the ruler. Note: When you cut the felt out it will be the same length and width of the ruler.
- Cut the felt strip.
- Lay the chenille stem down the middle of the felt.
- Put glue along the long edge of the felt and one end.
- Fold the felt over the chenille stem, matching the long edges together.
- Hold the felt together using clothespins.
- Cut a piece of felt about 1/4" wide by 3/4" long.
- Cut a "V" shape in one end (short end) to make the tongue.
- Take the opposite (short) end and place it in the one end of the snake that you did not glue shut.
- Glue the tongue in place.
- Glue the eyes on the end of the snake right above where the tongue is located. (see photo)
- Let glue dry. (Note: This may take overnight)
- Remove clothespins.
- Wind the snake around the pencil or object of your choice.