Parental supervision is recommended
Curl these slinky felt snakes around your drinking goblets, a place card, or anywhere you want. A fun addition to any kids' party decoration. Combine it with our circly snake craft and celebrate the Chinese New Year with a slithering success.
What you'll need:
Note: Supplies listed are to make one snake.
- Red or orange felt
- Black marker
- Glue or tacky glue (see tips area)
- Two (six millimeter) wiggle Eyes
- Wax paper
- Chenille stem (any color)
- Sequins, glitter, glitter glue, or other decorations.
How to make it:
- Lay the ruler on the long edge of the felt.
- Use your marker to draw a line the length of the ruler. Note: When you cut the felt out it will be the same length and width of the ruler.
- Cut the felt strip.
- Tear off a piece of wax paper that is about two inces wide.
- Cut a piece of felt in the opposite color about 1/4 inch wide by 3/4 inches long.
- Cut a "V" shape in one end (short end) to make the tongue.
- Lay the chenille stem down one of the long sides of the felt. Glue in place.
- Put glue all over the felt. (Note: Do spread the glue, try not to overdo.)
- Roll the felt around the chenille stem. Pinch one end closed.
- Place the uncut edge of the tongue in the opposite end of the felt. Pinch closed.
- Roll the felt in the wax paper. (Note: There will be so much glue, that the felt may tend to ooze a bit)
- Hold the felt together using clothespins.
- Let glue dry. (Note: This may take overnight)
- Remove clothespins.
- Glue the eyes on the end of the snake right above where the tongue is located. (see photo)
- Glue on sequins, glitter, or anything you would like to make your snake unique.
- Wind the snake and position it to hold a place card, or wrap it around the base of a drinking glass stem, or wherever you would like.
If a teen or older is making this project, hot glue or low-temp glue makes this a much quicker project.